Apprentice Challenge: A modified approach

A lovely woman in An Tir (Portzia di Corbino Rosso from Tir Righ, I believe) started a thing, last Spring, called the Apprentice Challenge. Ostensibly, folks were to make teams, attach themselves to a Laurel, and do a bunch of things within a proscribed period of time, and then there will be winners and prizes.

So, if you know me, you know that I don't particularly care for turning art into a competition. However, if you know me, you also know that my ADD brain likes having parameters and checklists. The challenges that are outlined in this thing are good and valid, so I'm-a just work my way through a bunch of them, as a way of getting on a track and staying there, as well as maybe getting some traction in my new Kingdom. For the record, I intentionally kept the performance arts in scope. You never know.

To wit:

PROJECT COMPLETION
*Completed a project that's been in the UFO pile for years.
*Completed a project that's been on the "ooh, one day I'll make/perform THAT" list for years.
*Completed a project that is your most historically accurate thing to date.
*Made/performed something new, that you've never tackled before.
*Made/performed something using largely period techniques and materials.
*Finished something COMPLETELY - no corners cut, no slap-dash substitutions. Something you're PROUD of.
*Defeated a Monster - conquered a thing you've been terrified to tackle: a new discipline, a new medium, a new style. Something you've been terrified to do, but you DID it.

DISPLAY AND PERFORMANCE
*Performed in court
*Performed at a feast
*Performed at an event
*Displayed art for ambiance at an event
*Displayed a project as a showcase of skill/talent

COMPETITION AND FEEDBACK
*Entered a branch competition
*Entered a Baronial competition
*Entered a Principality championship level competition
*Entered a Kingdom championship level competition
*Presented a display or performed for feedback

FURTHER LEARNING
*Attended Kingdom University - DONE!
*Took a class/workshop outside of an event to further your learning
*Learned a new skill
*Became proficient at a new skill set/discipline
*Attended a Principality/Kingdom Arts & Sciences competition

GENEROSITY
*Entered a Super Six or Dirty Dozen Largesse competition
*Donated an item, or a collection of items for Largesse
*Worked as part of a team on Royal clothing
*Worked as part of a team on Regalia
*Donated garb or accessories for Royals
*Made garb or accessories for other SCA folk
*Donated prizes for a tournament or competition

COMMUNITY PROMOTION
*Taught a class
*Created a new class, and taught it
*Hosted/facilitated a workshop
*Facilitated a regular, public A&S or Bardic night
*Arranged a largesse competition or donation
*Arranged a display, with a feedback or populace choice component
*Organised a competition and coordinated judges
*Helped coordinate classes for an event
*Helped arrange A&S and/or Bardic for a demo

ADMINISTRATIVE A&S
*Held an A&S- or Bardic-related office
*Held an A&S- or Bardic-related retinue position
*Volunteered as a judge or student judge for an A&S/Bardic competition


I mean...this list is pretty comprehensive, although I'm a bit dismayed that there isn't a research component to it, so I may add something just because I think it makes sense. There are also things on here that I am highly unlikely to ever do (competitions), or that I'm not integrated enough in my new Kingdom to pull off effectively, right now, but it's a start!

To begin, as I unpacked, I pulled out a few UFOs so I don't have to go digging for them, and hope to start tackling some of this stuff soon.

We'll see how it goes...

Comments

Popular Posts