Monday, May 21, 2018

Lion's Torse V2 FINAL Final

It went much better the second time. I had a REALLY hard time getting into the calligraphy groove, with this one. But the end result is mostly OK. I hope he likes it.

For those unfamiliar with the Lion's Torse:
Founded by King Steingrim, membership is awarded by the king to those whose armour worn on the field is functional, historically accurate, and esthetically pleasing.

Friday, March 30, 2018

And then I started another scroll...

...and then proceeded to wreck it pretty thoroughly. Thankfully, I still have another month and a half before it's due.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Bona Fide Originals...

So, life isn't all charters all the time, for all that I enjoy them as a creative exercise, and I LOVE seeing how others approach my designs (totally gratifying, tbh).

Sometimes, I do original scrolls - don't fall over from shock. I'm still trying to track down a few more photos, but here's what I have to hand.

The Potissimus Hippocampus and Lion of An Tir have been previously documented, but here are some others. Some with original inspiration and process, even. Because I have one. Sometimes.

Albrecht von Rugen - Viscounty
Gouache, gilding, and ink on paper

I love this manuscript, and I love how this scroll turned out. I'm pretty sure the gold leaf is composite, and marks the only time I've done it - I need to explore that a bit more. German text. This was one of my entries into an A&S competition - I honestly don't remember if it was Kingdom or Principality, but I got good marks on it.

Loegaire mac Lochlainn - Court Barony
Gouache and ink on...pergamentata? I don't even remember.

Dozens of inspiration images, one terrible photo of the original sketch. I somehow managed to not get a picture of the rest of the process or the finished product, which is a shame, because it turned out pretty well, I think.

Gabrielle Lepinay - Court Barony
Gouache and ink on pergamentata.

The recipient loves rabbits, and was stepping down after serving as Baroness of Wyewood. The shields are simple variations of Wyewood's arms, the kingdom checky, and her personal device.

Duncan Tuddio - Cheval et du Lion
Gouache and ink on paper - awarded after a successful year as Equestrian Champion. Last-minute request.

Alicia du Bois - Sable Scrivener
Gouache and ink on pergamentata

It's always a joy to do a scroll for a friend.

Armand de Castille - Lion's Rapier
Ink on pergamentata - awarded after a successful year as Queen's Champion of Rapier

Elisabeth de Rossignol - Indenture
Ink on pergamentata - cut in half and presented upon the occasion of my apprenticing

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

But what have I done for you lately?

I'm at the point, now, where it will be easier to group things by reign, so that's what I'm-a gonna do. Unless otherwise noted, I did the art and calligraphy on all of them.

Savaric I and Dalla I
The Icelandic one we've already talked about, but this one was also quite popular and painted up astoundingly well.

Styrkarr I and Stjarna I

I honestly don't know if they ever used this one. The form factor was good, but my calligraphy was a bit big, and the words didn't line up as well as I'd hoped for the design to really work. I'd like to do this style again, but with more control over the text. Probably as an original, since a lot of what makes it cool is lost when done as production art.

Styrkarr II and Stjarna II

These were kind of hastily thrown together just to get some charters out the door to paint. Alicia did the calligraphy on them, and they went on to live happy lives.

Havordh I and Mary Grace I

I was co-Royal Scribe for this reign. Buy me a drink and I'll tell you about it, some time, but it reminded me of why I should find other ways to contribute to the Society. Some great art happened, though, so there's that.

I LOVED this design. There were so few duds of this one, and I got a lot of really good feedback from painters on how much they enjoyed it. Calligraphy by Alicia du Bois.

And now, All Persian, All The Time.

Erik II and Dryfinna II

Kjartan I and Shay'a I

You guys. This batch was SO FUN. I've not done a fully-themed collection in this style, before, and they turned out beautifully. The pesudo-Persian hand is the shizz.

That's it for this round. Tune in next time for Original Scrollstravaganza! If I can find all of the images, that is.