Potpourri...an oleo of statements, if you will...

As we were unpacking all of my stuff, last month, I pulled out the sizeable collection of Things I Need To Fix And/Or Finish. Since I can't really scribe, at the moment, and I don't have a place or a machine for sewing, that leaves knitting and hand-sewing to keep from stabbing people. Starting, of course, with a new project that I hope to have off my plate for the short-term (I'm making some linen napkins for the gift basket from Their Drachenwald Majesties, which started out being a way to learn needle lace but will end up being merely hand-stitched and maybe edged with lace that I just now remembered that I have. Go me!)

And, naturally, as I sit here contemplating that stack of things, my fancy lightly turns to thoughts of...Kingdom A&S Competitions.

Now, if you know me, you know that I hate eschew them, generally, because I don't like art as a competition. However, as a means to a) encourage me to actually make some shit, and b) sort of show my new friends what my jam/jams is/are, it's a useful tool. I'm sure several of you could debate the finer points of difference between An Tir and Drachenwald's respective competitions, but let's just say that the one here is more encouraging to participation, if beset with its own logistical issues.

Here's the drill: unless things change - which they might, and I actually think they will after this year, so all of this is in pencil - I need to enter at least one item in at least three of the six categories, and must send entries to at least two of the five (four?) competition events (spread out over a year, which is brilliant). And I don't even have to be there, if I warn the right people ahead of time (unless I perform something, I imagine, which I might actually do ((don't fall over from shock)) ). This immediately makes the entire endeavour significantly more accessible and manageable. So I'm giving it thought.

It won't happen this year. My poop isn't anywhere near being in a group, and I'd need more planning time to get ahead of things. (Stop laughing.) But I've got lightly sketched-out ideas about what I could do, all fairly sensible, manageable, and doable knowing what I know about myself. Much will depend on how the organisation shakes out after this year. But I'm thinking about it.

If I'm really good, I'll tie it in to the Apprentice Challenge of my previous post, somehow, because I like crossing things off of lists.

Comments

Cts. Elisabeth said…
Woot! Lookit you! Please provide endless details, pictures, flow charts, etc. for my vicarious enjoyment. Available for any and all decision making discussions, venting, or long existential ramblings about Art, Life, and Everything.

Popular Posts