But first, we had to move house

So, 2019 had a lot in it, for me, including two new jobs and a new place to live. We levelled up to a larger flat in a nicer neighbourhood, which meant that I could finally set up an office/craft room. I was desperate to get back to scribing, so I took on two scroll assignments for October Crown hosted by the Shire of Thamesreach - both Orden des Lindquistringes, and each done in distinctly different styles.

The first was for someone who was being recognised for her contributions to the equestrian community, so naturally I had to put a pony on it.

Here are the inspiration pieces from whence the final mashup came:



Ostensibly, they're both from different editions of Konrad Kyeser's 15th c. treatise on the military arts, Bellefortis. I chose it because PONIES! but also because I wanted to push my illumination skills a bit - I'd met the recipient once before, so I wanted the rider to look as much like her as I could make it, and for the horse to look like hers, as well.

I started, as is my wont, with the calligraphy. It was a new-to-me hand - a variant of Lateinische-Deutsche Cursiv - so naturally I didn't spend any time practicing but dove right in, using a combination of an exemplar that I found, and the original manuscript. I'm pleased to say that it didn't suck, and I really like how it looks, so will use it again.


Next came the sassy red bit.


Heartened by my success, at this point, I started with the painting.



There was much painting, and repainting, and poor choices, and tea, and painting. The crappy photo quality doesn't really show the subtleties, and - if I'm completely honest - I would make different choices were I to do this again. The starting colours were too solid and flat, and the more I tried to fuss with it, the less better it got. I finally had to just come to terms with it, and call it done.


Orden des Lindquistringes
Ink and gouache on pergamenata
Awarded at Drachenwald's Crown Tournament, October 2019


The recipient was pleased, and has since made it her userpic on Facebook, which is incredibly gratifying. I am, by and large, happy with how it turned out - I'd not done "large-scale" illumination, like that, before. I would certainly do it again. And, for a first scroll in my new kingdom, not a bad beginning.

Comments

Popular Posts