Drachenwald Laurels' Arts Challenge: Heraldic textiles for your camp, Part III

 


As we all know, no plan withstands contact with the enemy. In this case, it didn't withstand reviewing the source materials before starting, which, as these things go, is better than after starting.

So, after making Himself dig out a box from storage because I thought it had my gesso in it (only to find it completely dried out in a box in the office), I had amassed what I believed to be all of the supplies I'll need to get this party started: green silk, real gold leaf, size, varnish, bole, gesso, a burnisher, and some solvent. I was all ready to dive in, but it was as I was re-reading my Good Friend Cennini to get clear on the steps I'd need to take when it hit me: the gold he talks about for large areas isn't leaf, it's shell gold, i.e. paint.

This...should not have been news, and yet...

Earlier this morning, in the Great Rooting About for Supplies I Thought I Already Had, I'd discovered a nice tub of metallic gold acrylic paint and, for a few brief moments, I considered documenting the real process, but then just getting on with it using this modern concoction. It would meet the baseline challenge, and I could get it done in a day.

Instead, I ordered some gum arabic, which will hopefully be here before the end of the week, and some of that luscious gold leaf I picked up will soon live it's best life ground to bits. Meanwhile, I'll start a test thing, to make sure this whole crazy nonsense will work.

So, while my fabric is getting a bit of a pre-wash, let's recap the steps:

  1. Transfer the design using charcoal, and outline in ink
  2. Put a layer of size in the area to be painted/gilded
  3. Put a layer of gesso mixed with a bit of bole
  4. Put another two layers of size
  5. Put another layer of bole
  6. Paint the area with shell gold
  7. Do any necessary additional artwork with inks or paints
  8. Do any needed actual gilding (on mordant)
  9. Varnish

All with much time between for things to properly dry and cure.

We'll see how this goes. I have a large enough piece of fabric that I may chuck this nonsense over and just make something pretty, then bear the weight of my shame. Only time will tell.


As an aside, I want to take a moment to mention how unbelievably difficult it was for me to find 100% silk green taffeta without leaving the comfort of my own home. Epic PITA, that was, and I ended up having it shipped from California. It's gorgeous, though, and this is going to be Fancy AF.

Comments

Popular Posts