Musings in the interim



While I sit here, waiting for word on whether/when I'll be granted the visa to join my husband, my mind turns to hand-sewing.

Some years ago (like, probably more than 10, potentially closer to a million) I read an article or blog post that may or may not have been written by Mistress Isobel Gildingwater of Ditchingham (as I type this, I wonder if I should just ping her to ask...?) about what an amazing difference hand-sewing added to costuming. It was focused on a 16th century bodice? corset? and went into really interesting detail on how, by making each piece an independent sandwich of its requisite layers, then butting the correct edges together for seaming, one would get not only the correct fit, but the correct look. I despair of finding it, now, although I'll continue to dig because The Internet Never Forgets.

Cut to today, when I found an article on The Tudor Group's site about hand vs. machine sewing, and it's renewed my interest to explore it further, due in no small part to having given up my sewing machine in last year's exodus from The Penthouse, and knowing that I will begin my new life in England sine machina. What a great opportunity to explore The Modern Maker's techniques, and make some properly-fitting clothes for me and my conveniently linearly built husband.

Meanwhile, if you know the article I'm referring to, hook a girl up!

Comments

Cts. Elisabeth said…
I couldn't find her article on it, but I know Morgan Donner's site has at least some references to the flat-lining process (in one of her videos ... or other ...)

I use this technique a lot and if you happen to wander over again before the Blessed Day, we can go over it if desired. I also have French Breakfast radishes. Just sayin.

Popular Posts