Another year over...
![]() |
| ...and a new one just begun |
Well. What to say? Where to begin?
I managed to finish some small but long-standing projects, this year. To my amazement, if I'm honest. And I made it to some events, which was great for my sanity. I could give a laundry list of Things I Did and Places I Went, but eh. It shall be Heroes and Highlights, instead, I think. And then some intentions.
Heroes
Beloved Peer Countess Elisabeth - even though we rarely talk, and even more rarely see each other, these days, just knowing she's there and wanting to make sure I do her proud has kept my head above water more than once, this year.
Countess Saxa - Y'know...for someone I categorically was not friends with when I lived in Avacal, she sure has become an absolute rock and a joy, and I can't imagine her not in my life, now. We have held each other up, a time or two (or three), and I am grateful for her friendship.
Maîtresse Mathilde, Countess Beatrix and HL Gele - I met and/or became better friends with these absolutely stunning, strong women, this year, and [all the feels]. My real life was challenging, and these three were an active balm to my bruised soul.
The Swedes - nearly every event I went to off-Island involved them, to greater and lesser degree, and y'all...they're crazy. And kind, and welcoming, and hilarious, and generous, and patient, and fun. Carpooling with them is an experience and a treat. The 3-hourtour ferry ride (twice) with a bunch of them was easily the most relaxing good time I've had in an age.
The Swedes - nearly every event I went to off-Island involved them, to greater and lesser degree, and y'all...they're crazy. And kind, and welcoming, and hilarious, and generous, and patient, and fun. Carpooling with them is an experience and a treat. The 3-hour
Highlights
Drachenwald 30th Year Coronation - the Best Roomie Ever (Margaret), new friends, all the dice games, much Prosecco, eating my weight in cheese, doing not very much and doing it very well. The silly tournament was very silly. And, omg THAT FUCKING PEACOCK.
New Clothes - I finally just threw money at the problem and bought a few 14th/15th c dresses to go with my bycocket, finished That Damned Hood (but it was a total hack job), and made a quick houppe-like coat, just so I could have something new to wear to Lucia. Every single bit of it will need re-working, somehow, or ::glares at That Damned Hood:: just replacing with something better, but it was fun and nice, and I figured out how to do my hair so it looked right and even though things didn't quite fit exactly as they should I felt pretty.
Lucia Feast - Magical. Just magical. Like, renewed my faith in the SCA and life levels of magical.
I stayed out of kitchens - it was nice to take a bit of a break. I'll be back at 'er next year, I'm sure.
Intentions
Research Area I - finish translating the Italian cheese stuff, then move on to translating the German cheese stuff, then see what I can turn all of that information into. Perhaps a CA. Probably some sort of boring lecture class with snacks.
Research Area II - dive more deeply into Very Northern Italian food. I'm loving me some Alpine things, these days.
Research Area III - pastry baking (as opposed to bread and pies-with-crust-as-baking-case).
Research Area III - pastry baking (as opposed to bread and pies-with-crust-as-baking-case).
Research Area IV - wine
Repair/adjust - both of my 16th c. dresses need some attention; I'm unhappy with my bycocket, so need to refactor it a bit; make the one kirtle bigger and shorter and the other kirtle smaller, then sort out a better shift for underneath; change the sleeves and line the houppe coat, and add closures.
Make - a mantle to go over the hood I just bought, and do better with the fur. Maybe a fancy 16th c. something. Pattern off of the new kirtles so I can make one or two more, as well as a proper overdress.
Make - a mantle to go over the hood I just bought, and do better with the fur. Maybe a fancy 16th c. something. Pattern off of the new kirtles so I can make one or two more, as well as a proper overdress.
Calligraphy/Illumination - do more of it, both commissions and blanks.
It's been a helluva year, but we made it. I hope to see more of you in 2024, and to have a renewed sense of enthusiasm for making and doing. Be well, friends. x



Comments