Monday, January 23, 2017

About aprons and lace

There's something kind of cathartic about starting a project you've had in your head - and for which you have had the supplies - for years.

My cunning plan is this: get a few projects to the hand-finish stage on the weekend, and spend the weeknights doing the hand stitching. So, the hood is there, and yesterday I set up a lace-inset apron in the Italian style, but a bit more utilitarian.


Lame-assed me didn't take any process photos, but here's how it went down:

28"x 29" piece of ivory linen, a frillion yards of ivory cotton eyelet lace.

1. Marked the center of the linen with a fabric pen, then centered the lace over the line and pinned it in place.
2. Machine stitched both edges of the lace to the fabric.
3. Repeated this process twice more, centered in each remaining half.
4. On the back, cut the fabric (NOT THE LACE!) down the lines in the center of the lace.
5. Pressed the resulting fabric flaps out.
6. Sprained my arm patting myself on the back for following the genius tip I found on the internet for inserting lace, and having it turn out EXACTLY like I wanted it.



The next steps for this bad boy are to a) stitch down the flaps on the back, b) add lace around the outside edge, c) gather it a bit, then d) affix it to the waist tie. So, tonight it will be me and a) in front of Wolf Hall. Actually, it might be me and the inside of the hood that is also in the "stitch down seams" phase. We'll see where I end up.

No comments: