Sunday, January 22, 2017

Allright. So, here's the plan...

I've been considering, since it's resurrection, how I want to use this blog. It will be SCA-project specific, for sure, and that's about as far as I've gotten. I'll probably be uploading a bunch of historical entries from LJ, and digging out photos of things I've done in the last 25 years, or so, just to have them all in one place (and show what I hope is progression). It might be costume stuff, scribal stuff, cooking stuff, music stuff, knitting stuff...I'm a bit of a dilettante, and that will quickly be reflected here. It might be process photos, finished photos, redactions, random thoughts on relevant topics, new or new-to-me research and resources. My brain is kind of all over the map, so this blog is likely to follow suit.

So, that's your fair warning.

Anyway, I've taken my vow to myself to get my wardrobe sorted out a bit to heart, and am currently working on a wool hood. It's from about 150 years earlier than my professed persona, but I got this bycocket, you see, and needed to have an outfit to go with it, and I live in An Tir, and I don't want to freeze. You know how it is. It's a delicious sort of dark turquoise heathery tweed from a vintage skirt and sweater kit, lined with a beautiful rust colored silk tabby. There will be fur, before all is said and done, which will be a fun and interesting challenge. It's currently put together, and I'm in the process of stitching down the inside seams (I treated the inner and outer as one piece because the silk was so delicate and slippery). Thankfully, the skirt and sweater kit also has lightweight wool yarn in EXACTLY THE SAME COLOR as the fabric, so the stitches are nearly invisible on the outside, which is fabulous. There aren't process photos for this one, because I got all fired up, last weekend, and just dove in without bothering to document.

I'm also about to fire up some of the embroidery stitches on my sewing machine to make a "blackworked" wool wrap with a chunk of gorgeous wool challis. If I tried to do actual blackwork on it, I would never finish it, and then I'd get frustrated and depressed, and who wants that?

ETA: Update - just tested this theory, and it looks like ass. Will re-think my approach...

And an apron with lace insets. Because I need aprons from a functional standpoint, and the Italians seemed to like pretty ones, so why the hell not?

ETA: Oh! And a linen chemise, because my favorite one ripped. It's constructed, just finishing the seams and hems. It's stripey. I like it.

I'm going to start with these four things, because they're small and finishable and useful.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

No comments: